PHILOSOPHY OF WORK
ARCHITECTURE“The more complex the building is, the clearer the design should be. That’s why minimalist architecture fits in healthcare projects.”
ORIGINMy study of architecture has been in business since 1992. I have carried out almost all types of private and public projects, about 450 works and projects in collaboration with architects and engineers from my own team. I first directed works for Expo ‘92 in Seville (Spain).
Since then, we have participated in and won competitions and projects such as auditoriums, faculties, houses, and even skyscrapers in Spain (published in professional magazines, websites, and university books among others).
HEALTHCARE ARCHITECTUREThe last fifteen years, we have specialized in Healthcare architecture with around 330,000 m2 of projects built in all public hospitals in Malaga (Spain) and some abroad, as well as several Health centers.
– Specialized of projects to new large hospitals (New Hospital from Metropolitan area of Malaga, about 160,000 m2) or projects for new small hospitals , even they are more complex to fits all medical specialties (Hospital of New Guinea) .
– Designed and construction the remodeling and expansion of five main hospitals in Malaga ( about 250 works finished by now). This works have been carried out in phases, without closed any medical services (these projects are more complex than a project of new hospitals, because must be, design new specialties, facilities, reinforce structures, etc …)
– Great experience in the design and built of Health centers, which provide a more direct citizen services, without having to visit a hospital with a extensive international experience through collaborations with Architecture offices to other countries.
EDUCATIONAL ARCHITECTURESpecialized in educational architecture (namely faculties, high schools and nurseries). This kind of architecture can be implemented by modules, which reduces cost, likewise tried to create interesting building and Architecture. The most significant example about it, would be the new Law faculty of University of Granada, a modern building integrated a European old town stands out.
RESIDENTIAL ARCHITECTUREI have specialized myself in public houses and private residential architecture for foreign clients in Costa del Sol (Spain). Collaboration with a Boston architectural firm to design projects of several large houses in the most luxury urbanization in Marbella (La Zagaleta ).
– Designed and managed the construction of luxury homes (6.000 M2) in Costa del Sol, from foreign clients.
– Managed the construction and designed a luxury apartment complex (1.220M2) in Marina on Costa del Sol.
– Built of public sustainable residential homes (6.450 M2), through a bidding. Andalusia.
– Managed, project and works of repair around 150 houses in 8 village of southern Spain.
PUBLIC ARCHITECTUREThe field of administrative architecture is very broad, but have developed a number of models and of course.
– Created the project for 2 Auditoriums, one with 5.000 seats in Pamplona, and a smaller one, in Granada.
– Created the project for the Court Building for the City of Valencia of over 100.000 M2.
– Collaboration of design, and work´s direction of Expo´92 in Seville.
HEALTHCARE REMODELING AND ENLARGEMENT – MASTER PLANSIn this case it is remodeling a hospital or a hospital complex. The procedure requires a master plan setting functional and economical priorities and being flexible in relation to that master plan. For that, a series of deadlines, budgets and priorities of actions are set up and, obviously, a number of areas are selected as a flexible element that allows the removal of each of the functional activities so that the work never paralyses the hospital activity.
PARTIAL REMODELINGA number of areas for action are established by parts of the directive area both of general services and doctors, from which the duration of the works, its phases as well as its full costs are programmed. This action implies a great coordination between the consulting business and the hospital management, especially due to dividing works in phases, preventing that way the subsequent closure of the service.
FEASIBILITY STUDIESThe hospital has a program with needs and a maximum budget of execution; thus, the consultant is responsible for organizing hierarchically which actions have the highest priority so as to avoid budget deviations and also to meet a minimum set of requirements.
REMODELING FROM IMPLEMENTATIONThe implementation of heavyweight equipment, such as radiology or laboratory for instance, which means a structural reinforcement, being the least aggressive with the existing structure.
ADVANTAGES OF REMODELING AND ENLARGEMENT OF EXISTING BUILDINGSI want to summarise my experience of remodelling hospitals. It’s complex but very profitable, both for users and economic terms. The main advantages are its central place within the cities and the existing transport infrastructure. If the hospital must keep its normal function all the time, how can we reduce and avoid the impact of works on the own building and downtown.
– A correct plan of phases order is necessary, including the program and hospital priorities.
– Firstly, it needs designing different access to hospital for users and works staff.- A free multifunctional floor is designed to be used in all phases.
– Each phase should be completed quickly before beginning the next one.
– The works developed by phases must be clean, dustless and completely isolated form the rest of the building.
– The work materials should be stored so that they arrive at the work just to be used, as well as the facilities.
– The inconvenience is that in each phase one medical area is moved with sufficient capacity to full services.
– The hospitalised patients and other users are not aware that the building is under remodelling.
– The construction area will be free of dust and noise, never interfering with the correct function of the hospital.
– Each phase is developed in a few months, and patients start using the new floor the day after the works end.
– The waiting areas are extended, and must be able to separate different more functional uses.
– The last area to remodel should be the administration and management offices.It is cheaper to improve the energy efficiency by changing facilities, material, etc. However, new hospitals usually have large glass surfaces, which is more expensive.
– “The hospital should look like a hotel as much as possible.